Was John Wayne Catholic? Eventually, Yes.
Not a name one expects in association with American Catholic history, John Wayne has been considered the paragon of manliness for well over 70 years. But in his private life, the Duke was guilty of serial infidelity , which made his three marriages less than a picture of ideal manhood. However, the Catholicism of his wives, children, and good friends had a profound impact on him, and he converted to Catholicism on his deathbed, dying with the sacraments.
- John Wayne: The Strange Message He Requested on His Tombstone
- My ‘granddaddy’ John Wayne, actor and Catholic convert
- He was ugly, strong, and had dignity — Uncovering John Wayne’s hidden treasure | by Jeremy Roberts | Medium
- John Wayne: The Movie Icon Who Once Got Picked in the NFL Draft | Fanbuzz
- John Wayne-Cardiac Catholic – The American Catholic
- The Free Lance-Star – Google News Archive Search
- John Wayne’s deathbed conversion to Christianity
- John Wayne (1907-1979), Catholic Convert | Pat McNamara
- Interview with John Wayne (1969) | Interviews | Roger Ebert
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.