The Irish-born Father James Coyle became a beloved pastor in early 20th-century Birmingham, Alabama. He cared about all of God’s children, and bringing as many souls to Christ as possible. But anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic sentiment grew significantly in his time, especially with the rebirth of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK). He was a well-educated man, and was an eloquent defender of the faith, taking to newspapers to explain the Catholic faith and rebuff libelous attacks on Catholics. When he married the daughter of Edwin Stephenson, a KKK member, to a Catholic Puerto Rican man, Stephenson murdered him in cold blood on the porch of his rectory. The trial was a sham, Stephenson acquitted, but the uproar and horror over the event really was the beginning of the end of the anti-Catholic activity in the South.
- Life & Legacy: The Father James E. Coyle Documentary – The Father Coyle Memorial Project
- Tragedy In Birmingham – Columbia Magazine
- Killing of Birmingham priest in 1921 remembered at cathedral – al.com
- An American story about an Irish priest, a brave girl, and the KKK
- Remembering James Coyle: The Irish priest the Ku Klux Klan killed | IrishCentral.com
- Hugo Black and the Murder of Father James E. Coyle
- Father James Edwin Coyle — AOH Florida State Board
- EWTN Live – Rising Road and Fr. James Coyle project – Fr Pacwa w Prof Sharon Davies – 7-20-2011 – YouTube
- Learn about our upcoming pilgrimages to important and unforgettable Catholic holy sites
Books & More
- Rising Road: A True Tale of Love, Race, and Religion in America
- Hugo Black of Alabama: How His Roots and Early Career Shaped the Great Champion of the Constitution
- Southern Civil Religions: Imagining the Good Society in the Post-Reconstruction Era (The New Southern Studies Ser.)
- “The Murder of Father James Coyle, the Prosecution of Edwin Stephenson, and the True Calling of Lawyers,” By Judge William Pryor
- The American Catholic Almanac
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Brought to you by SQPN and Beatrix Media
Keep the American Catholic History Podcast going by supporting SQPN, or by becoming a sponsor of American Catholic History, and contact Beatrix Media (Tom and Noëlle's media company) for your writing, digital strategy, and SEO needs!
Become a StarQuest Patron
Patrons keep all of SQPN's shows going, including American Catholic History. Patrons also receive special gifts and exclusive access to special content and early releases of certain episodes. Find out all of the benefits of being a Patron and choose your level today!
Sponsor American Catholic History Episodes
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.