Before Lilies of the Field was a beloved movie it was a charming short book. The author, William Barrett, was Catholic, and based the book in part on the story of the Sisters of St. Walburga in Colorado. When director Ralph Nelson and his screenwriter, James Poe, got the story they made some additional adjustments to it, but kept the essential message and thrust of the story. The result was movie magic. Neither the studio nor the critics thought much of the script, but up-and-coming Hollywood star Sidney Poitier saw something powerful. He took a measly salary to make it happen, and filming took only 14 days. The popular reception, and the film’s enduring popularity, showed Nelson and Poitier to be right. Poitier won an Oscar — the first Oscar won by a black man — and the film has been an enduring cultural phenomenon.
- Lilies of the Field – Vanguard of Hollywood
- The heart of Barrett’s ‘The Lilies of the Field’ – Georgia Bulletin – Georgia Bulletin
- 58 Years Later, the Classic ‘Lilies of the Field’ Still Bridges Racial and Religious Divides| National Catholic Register
- The Lilies of the Field (novel) – Wikipedia
- Lilies of the Field (1963 film) – Wikipedia
- WILLIAM E. BARRETT DIES AT 85; AUTHOR OF ‘LILIES OF THE FIELD’ – The New York Times
- Lilies of the Field at 50: Race, Religion, and Sidney Poitier’s Westward Journey. – Free Online Library
- Sidney Poitier: Black America follows in legendary actor’s footsteps
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.