Mary Edmonia Lewis was a black Catholic woman who became a great sculptor. Tom and Noëlle Crowe tells us that in order to overcome prejudice against her she moved to Rome from the US early on and it wasn’t until quite recently that Lewis received recognition for her great art.
- BLACK HISTORY MONTH: Edmonia Lewis – a remarkable Hammersmith sculptor
- Celebrating Sculptor Edmonia Lewis’ Deep Calling
- Sculptor Edmonia Lewis Shattered Gender and Race Expectations in 19th-Century America
- Edmonia Lewis | Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Overlooked No More: Edmonia Lewis, Sculptor of Worldwide Acclaim – The New York Times
- Edmonia Lewis
- Edmonia Lewis, Catholic sculptor, subject of a Google doodle
- Biography of Edmonia Lewis, American Sculptor
- Edmonia Lewis: Artist, Woman of Color, Catholic
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Brought to you by SQPN and Beatrix Media
The American Catholic History Podcast is a project of Beatrix Media, LTD and is produced and disseminated by the Starquest Production Network.
Keep the American Catholic History Podcast going by supporting SQPN, or by becoming a sponsor of American Catholic History!
Become a StarQuest Patron
Patrons keep all of SQPN's shows going, including American Catholic History. Patrons also receive special gifts and exclusive access to special content and early releases of certain episodes. Find out all of the benefits of being a Patron and choose your level today!
Sponsor American Catholic History
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.