Father Stanley Rother had a difficult time with his studies in seminary, but once he was ordained and in the mission field in Guatemala, he was a dedicated priest. He even translated the Bible and the Mass into the difficult language of the natives. His tender care for souls caused him to run afoul of the warring factions tearing the country apart, and he was murdered in his rectory late one night.
- LTK015: Let’s Talk about Bl. Stanley Rother
- My visit to the scene of a martyrdom | Catholic Herald
- Father Stan Rother: American Martyr in Guatemala – Franciscan Media
- The martyrdom of Father Stanley Rother, native of Oklahoma
- Blessed Stanley Rother – Archdiocese of Oklahoma City – Oklahoma City, OK
- Opinion | CRY FROM GUATEMALA – The New York Times, Aug. 15, 1981
- Remembering Father Rother’s Sacrifices (YouTube)
- 3 things to know about Fr Stanley Rother, 1st US-born martyr -Aleteia
- Stanley Rother – Wikipedia
- The Shepherd Who Didn’t Run: Blessed Stanley Rother, Martyr from Oklahoma, Revised
- The Shepherd Who Didn’t Run: Blessed Stanley Rother, Martyr from Oklahoma, Spanish Edition
- Blessed Stanley Rother: An Extraordinary Ordinary Life
- The Story of Blessed Stanley Rother for Children Coloring and Activity Book
- The American Catholic Almanac
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.