The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, more commonly known as “The Baltimore Basilica,” was the first cathedral built in the United States. Archbishop John Carroll conceived of the idea of building a grand cathedral in Baltimore in 1792, but his plans didn’t come to fruition until the early 1800s. And in spite of being a poor diocese, Carroll believed this cathedral was important to build because of “Amplitude.” Listen to learn more.
- History – Basilica of the Assumption
- Baltimore Basilica to celebrate its 200th anniversary with special Mass, new adoration chapel – Baltimore Sun
- Basilica restoration sheds light on original vision – Baltimore Sun
- John Carroll, the Amplitude Apologetic and the Baltimore Cathedral – American Catholic Studies
- Basilica of the National Shrine of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Wikipedia
Books & More
- The Baltimore Basilica – America’s First Cathedral
- Restoring America’s First Cathedral, A Documentary Highlighting The Restoration Of The Baltimore Basilica
- The Baltimore Basilica – The Bicentennial Concert
- The Life And Times Of John Carroll Archbishop Of Baltimore. Volumes 1 to 3 (History of The Clergy)
- Biographical Sketch Of The Most Rev. John Carroll, First Archbishop Of Baltimore, With Portions Of His Writings (1843)
- The American Catholic Almanac
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Brought to you by SQPN and Beatrix Media
Keep the American Catholic History Podcast going by supporting SQPN, or by becoming a sponsor of American Catholic History, and contact Beatrix Media for your writing, digital strategy, and SEO needs!
Become a StarQuest Patron
Patrons keep all of SQPN's shows going, including American Catholic History. Patrons also receive special gifts and exclusive access to special content and early releases of certain episodes. Find out all of the benefits of being a Patron and choose your level today!
Sponsor American Catholic History Episodes
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.