George Washington requested the presence of a Catholic priest when he was on his deathbed, and rumors have swirled ever since of a deathbed conversion. The rumors are supported by his long-standing affinity for Catholics, and a few other interesting facts. Did the Father of our Country die a Catholic?
- The American Catholic Historical Researches, 1900
- George Washington and Catholics
- George Washington and Catholicism
- The Founders’ Tolerance – George Washington, John Adams, George Mason, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson
- George Washington and the Basilica of Saint Mary
- George Washington: Champion of Religious Freedom
- George Washington’s Letter to Catholics and Colonial Religious Liberty
- From George Washington to the Hebrew Congregation in Newport …
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.