George Washington had multiple Catholic aides de camp, and among them was Lt. Col. John Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was a friend of Washington’s before the Revolution, and that friendship continued after the War. Fitzgerald was involved in Alexandria politics, and in the founding of the first parish in Virginia — today’s St. Mary’s Basilica in Old Town Alexandria. And one of the first donations for it was made by his old friend George Washington.
- John Fitzgerald · George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- The Sacred Heart Review, Volume 41, Number 6 — 30 January 1909 — Boston College Newspapers
- Lt Col John Fitzgerald – Valley Forge National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- George Washington and Colonel John Fitzgerald – The Basilica of Saint Mary
- VA. Hibernian’s Seek Answers on Removal of Irish Immigrants Name From Fitzgerald Square
- LTC John Fitzgerald (Unknown-1799) – Find A Grave Memorial
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Brought to you by SQPN and Beatrix Media
Keep the American Catholic History Podcast going by supporting SQPN, or by becoming a sponsor of American Catholic History, and contact Beatrix Media for your writing, digital strategy, and SEO needs!
Become a StarQuest Patron
Patrons keep all of SQPN's shows going, including American Catholic History. Patrons also receive special gifts and exclusive access to special content and early releases of certain episodes. Find out all of the benefits of being a Patron and choose your level today!
Sponsor American Catholic History Episodes
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.