George Washington had multiple Catholic aides de camp, and among them was Lt. Col. John Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald was a friend of Washington’s before the Revolution, and that friendship continued after the War. Fitzgerald was involved in Alexandria politics, and in the founding of the first parish in Virginia — today’s St. Mary’s Basilica in Old Town Alexandria. And one of the first donations for it was made by his old friend George Washington.
- John Fitzgerald · George Washington’s Mount Vernon
- The Sacred Heart Review, Volume 41, Number 6 — 30 January 1909 — Boston College Newspapers
- Lt Col John Fitzgerald – Valley Forge National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service)
- George Washington and Colonel John Fitzgerald – The Basilica of Saint Mary
- VA. Hibernian’s Seek Answers on Removal of Irish Immigrants Name From Fitzgerald Square
- LTC John Fitzgerald (Unknown-1799) – Find A Grave Memorial
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.