The first Dominicans to establish a priory in the United States were led by Maryland native Edward Fenwick. But when the Order of Preachers came, Bishop John Carroll sent them to Kentucky, where they established St. Rose Priory. The rural setting posed challenges for the typically urban Dominicans, but the Dominican friars persevered, and the Dominicans in the U.S. thrived.
- Province History – Dominican Friars Province of St. Joseph
- Edward Fenwick – Wikipedia
- History – St. Rose Priory Church, Springfield, Kentucky
- St. Rose Priory – Wikipedia
- Bourbon, Bluegrass, And the Bible – The Hillbilly Thomists – YouTube
- American Catholic History pilgrimage to the Kentucky Catholic Holy Land in 2021
Books & More
- Living for the Other Side – The Hillbilly Thomists
- The Hillbilly Thomists – Eponymous First Album
- The Right Rev. Edward Dominic Fenwick, O. P., Founder of the Dominicans in the United States, Pioneer Missionary in Kentucky, Apostle of Ohio, First Bishop of Cincinnati
- Fr. Fenwick’s “Little American Province” – 200 Years of Dominican Friars in the United States
- The American Catholic Almanac
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this podcast, and they have lots more programs and services in the works.
But they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History and enjoy great benefits.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.