Jean-Baptiste Lamy came over from France to be a missionary in Ohio before being named the first bishop of the new American territory of New Mexico. After his death the novelist Willa Cather based her novel Death Comes for the Archbishop on his life.
- Jean-Baptiste Lamy, the Apostle of Santa Fe
- Digital History
- Jean Baptiste Lamy – New Mexico History.org
- PressReader.com – Your favorite newspapers and magazines.
- Correspondence course sifting through the writing of Santa Fe’s first archbishop
- A Story Behind a Story: The Ohio Roots of Willa Cather’s Characters
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.