Father Peter Whelan went where no one else would — or could: the hell that was the prisoner of war camp in Andersonville, Georgia. He ministered tirelessly to the men living in subhuman conditions within the stockade, and eventually went to the prison at Governor’s Island, New York to continue to minister to them.
- Fr. Peter Whelan: Serving the Blue and the Gray – The Wild Geese
- Peter Whelan (priest) – Wikipedia
- Fr. Whelan, Angel of Andersonville, is Honored in Wexford | Irish America
- Fr.Peter Whelan, the Angel of Andersonville – Pearl River Ancient Order of Hibernians
- Andersonville National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.