Galveston was once the most important city in Texas, and St. Mary Cathedral is considered the Mother Church of the State. But Galveston, and St. Mary, have had to endure some great challenges, including the great hurricane of 1900, which destroyed most Catholic churches in the city and killed about a quarter of the residents — including sweeping away an entire orphanage run by the Sisters of Charity.
- The 1900 Storm – Galveston, Texas
- Mother church of Texas, Mary statue begins months-long restoration effort
- 1900 Galveston hurricane – Wikipedia
- ST. MARY’S ORPHANAGE, GALVESTON | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
- St. Ursula’s By The Sea – Remembering Ursuline Academy | Galveston Monthly Magazine
- 10 sisters of Congregation of the Sisters of Charity lost lives in Galveston Hurricane of 1900–Aleteia
- Through a Night of Horrors: Voices from the 1900 Galveston Storm
- Isaac’s Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History
- The Windows of Heaven
- The Great Storm: The Hurricane Diary of J. T. King, Galveston, Texas, 1900 (Lone Star Journals)
- The Storm of the Century: Tragedy, Heroism, Survival, and the Epic True Story of America’s Deadliest Natural Disaster: The Great Gulf Hurricane of 1900
- The American Catholic Almanac
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.