Adele Brise, an immigrant from Belgium, had a deep devotion to prayer. In 1859 she received a series of apparitions of the Blessed Mother who charged her to teach the faith to the children. She faced much opposition within the Church, but persevered. Over time a shrine and pilgrimage site developed where the apparitions took place, and it miraculously survived a terrible forest fire.
- Adele’s Story | The National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help
- This is the only officially recognized Marian apparition in the United States
- First Approved Marian Apparition in the US, Champion, Wisconsin – Catholicism.org
- Called to Evangelize: The Story of Adele Brise and the Mariophany that Changed her Life
- Guided by Mary, Adele Brise taught children about Catholic faith | The Compass
- National Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help – Wikipedia
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.