Catholicism Planted Thick From Sea to Shining Sea
The Spanish brought the Faith to Florida, California, and the southwest. The French brought it to the upper Midwest, deep south, and up and down the Mississippi River. English and Irish Catholics came to the colonies.
Catholics have had a significant — often foundational — role in the establishment and growth of cities, institutions, and populations all across this country. And that work began well before the Declaration of Independence.
Catholics like Charles Carroll of Carrollton — the wealthiest man in the colonies at the time of the Revolution — played a huge role in establishing religious liberty. George Washington was a great friend of Catholics, and likely became Catholic on his deathbed (though the evidence isn’t ironclad).
We’re pleased this week to present a list of episodes that could help your Independence Day Weekend celebrations.
- Charles Carroll of Carrollton: Catholic Signer of the Declaration of Independence
- Father Pierre Gibault and Francis Vigo: Revolutionary War Heroes
- George Washington, Catholic?
- Ben Franklin Chooses Bishop John Carroll?
- Margaret Brent: Savior of Maryland
- Commodore John Barry: Father of the U.S. Navy
- Pope Night
- Fr. Anthony Kohlman and the Seal of Confession
- The Immaculate Conception: Patroness of the United States
- The Pope’s Stone
- President Arthur Saves the North American College
- The American Thinking of Orestes Brownson
- Fr. Juan de Padilla, Proto-Martyr of the USA
- The Integration of Catholic North Carolina
- Catholics at Gettyburg
- Kentucky Catholics and Bourbon
- Padre Pio and American Servicemen of World War II
- Joyce Kilmer
- Father Vince Capodanno, the Grunt Padre
- The Knights of Columbus in the Great War
- Father Emil Kapaun
- Noel Dube: Hero of D-Day (and Noëlle’s grandfather)
- Father Aloysius Schmitt: Hero of Pearl of Harbor
- Father Francis Sampson: The Paratrooper Padre
Help Keep American Catholic History On the Interwebs!
Without your support we may have to stop altogether. Join us as a supporter today.
Follow to Get Episodes Automatically
And in your kindness, please leave a great rating and a review — those help more people to find American Catholic History!
Support American Catholic History
Noëlle and Tom enjoy doing this work, but they can't do it without support!
Become a supporter of American Catholic History to keep this great Catholic content coming.
Over on Locals we host reading groups, post exclusive videos, chat sessions, and we share more content not available to the public.
Join Our Locals Community
Learn how you can sponsor the American Catholic History Podcast. Your name and information will be included in our episodes, plus more benefits. Get information at the SQPN website.
Become a Patron
Drop a Tip in Noëlle & Tom's Tip Jar
Putting these episodes together takes time. If you appreciate what you get, show Noëlle and Tom a little love through Venmo or Paypal.